Lois Duvall Cannady was raised in Midlothian and in 1946 married Joe Cannady, a native of Cedar Hill. At that time Cedar Hill had 750 residents, two grocery stores, one barber shop, one cleaner, a post office and a drug store in the downtown area with a few scattered service stations.
From 1953 until retirement in 1994 Lois was employed as a land supervisor for an independent oil operator and usually carpooled to Dallas. In 1982 she and Joe purchased and restored the 1908 “Cannady House” and enjoyed gardening, antiquing and traveling.
In the early 1980’s she and five others organized the Cedar Hill Historical Society and she served as president for four years and continues to be an active board member. In 1984 she was honored as Chamber “Woman of theYear” and in 2002 she was Country Day “Queen of the Hill”. The Cedar Hill Masonic Lodge honored her as “2004 Community Builder” and in 2009 she was given the “Golden Cedar” award by the Chamber. She served as first president of Bridges Safe House and continues to be an active board member.
The community of Cedar Hill is blessed and privileged that Lois continues to call Cedar Hill home.
Greg Patton is from Terrell, Texas and met his wife, Linda Clark who is from Cedar Hill, while in college at Texas A & M at Commerce which was then East Texas State University. He received a B.B.A. degree in Economics and Finance. After working a short time at Ling Temco Vought in Grand Prairie he joined his father-in-law’s insurance business in Cedar Hill. He was a volunteer fireman for twenty years and retired in May of this year as City Councilman after serving for nine years.
Greg and Linda have a daughter, Jenny, and a son, Jay who runs the family business. The family has been involved with the Cedar Hill Church of Christ since the early 1950’s. Greg served as chairman of the Home Rule Charter Commission in 1975, past President of the Chamber of Commerce and Lion’s Club. They have four grandchildren with one, Audrey, being a fourth generation student of the Cedar Hill ISD.
Peggy Mayfield Wilson was born in Austin, Texas, on March 24, 1927. Peggy’s parents did without many things in order for her to attend the University of Texas where she received degrees in chemistry. She has a proud heritage with her great great grandfather sacrificing his life in the Battle of the Alamo and his brother in the Battle of Goliad.
In 1953 she moved to Dallas when hired by Magnolia Petroleum company (Mobil Oil Corp.). She was Mobil’s first female Ph.D. and became their first woman manager of a research group where she traveled to Europe for duties on drilling rigs 100 miles offshore Norway in the North Sea. In Mobil’s behalf, she authored about 15 U.S. patents and about 30 in Canada and Europe. In 1989, she and her husband, W.W. Wilson, III, Lt. Col., USAF retired in Cedar Hill.
From lengthy volunteer service in the Dallas city plan department, she realized that Cedar Hill was about to grow rapidly and would need more money for infrastructure. The city council agreed and assigned her the task of establishing an economic development program, which citizens soon supported in a sales tax election. She chaired the comprehensive plan committee in the 1990’s and was Cedar Hill’s first woman city council member. She continues civic and school volunteer activities.