Lois Duvall Cannady was raised in Midlothian and in 1946 married Joe Cannady, a native of Cedar Hill. At that time Cedar Hill had 750 residents, two grocery stores, one barber shop, one cleaner, a post office and a drug store in the downtown area with a few scattered service stations.
From 1953 until retirement in 1994 Lois was employed as a land supervisor for an independent oil operator and usually carpooled to Dallas. In 1982 she and Joe purchased and restored the 1908 “Cannady House” and enjoyed gardening, antiquing and traveling.
In the early 1980’s she and five others organized the Cedar Hill Historical Society and she served as president for four years and continues to be an active board member. In 1984 she was honored as Chamber “Woman of theYear” and in 2002 she was Country Day “Queen of the Hill”. The Cedar Hill Masonic Lodge honored her as “2004 Community Builder” and in 2009 she was given the “Golden Cedar” award by the Chamber. She served as first president of Bridges Safe House and continues to be an active board member.
The community of Cedar Hill is blessed and privileged that Lois continues to call Cedar Hill home.