Charles Ray Sims was born in 1925 in Cedar Hill just north of the site of Bray Elementary. While still very young his parents bought a home at 406 W. Beltline (east of Main St.). Then later as a young boy they moved to a farm outside of Cedar Hill. Both his grandparents lived in Duncanville and he remembers many get togethers with his cousins there while growing up.
In 1943 he graduated from Cedar Hill High School and spent 2 years in the Army during WWII primarily serving in Asia. When he came home he worked for Reserve Life Insurance in Dallas and car pooled with a group which included Verna Jean Jones. Before he knew it she had moved to the front seat and has been by his side ever since.
After about 15 years in the insurance business, he began working with his cousin at Sims Grocery, then located on Highway 67 when it was only two lanes. In 1968 due to the widening of the highway, the Sim’s Drive In moved to its current location in the historic town square and Charles Ray and Verna Jean bought the business and operated it until 1984 when Charles Ray became Cedar Hill’s first paid Fire Chief.
He had served as a volunteer fireman (and firechief periodically) for almost 35 years prior to becoming employed as Cedar Hill’s Firechief and the Citizens of Cedar Hill sincerely thank him for all his outstanding service.