Elizabeth Gay Hunt was reared in Cedar Hill and graduated from Cedar Hill High School in 1997. She spent part of her junior and senior years in Argentina as a student in a foreign exchange program. After her high school graduation, she ventured off to Aggieland and completed a BS in Industrial Distribution and a BA in International Studies with an emphasis in Latin America. She also lived in Italy and Costa Rica while studying at Texas A&M; University.
In 2006, Elizabeth enrolled at Texas State University to pursue a BS in Interior Design. Because the Cedar Hill community continues to be important to her, Elizabeth presented an interior and lighting design for the Cedar Hill Museum of History as part of her Senior Honor and Design Thesis. Inspired by the natural landscape, beauty, sense of community and Cedar Hill history, her design concept focused on the museum’s interior and told the story of the Cedar Hill Community embracing history and nature.
Elizabeth lives in Austin, Texas with her three dogs. Currently she works for Rockford Business Interiors as an Account Manager creating more effective and ergonomic enviornments for the workplace. As the owner of eHunt Design she continues to practice lighting design and creates unique sterling silver jewelry.
Charles Ray Sims was born in 1925 in Cedar Hill just north of the site of Bray Elementary. While still very young his parents bought a home at 406 W. Beltline (east of Main St.). Then later as a young boy they moved to a farm outside of Cedar Hill. Both his grandparents lived in Duncanville and he remembers many get togethers with his cousins there while growing up.
In 1943 he graduated from Cedar Hill High School and spent 2 years in the Army during WWII primarily serving in Asia. When he came home he worked for Reserve Life Insurance in Dallas and car pooled with a group which included Verna Jean Jones. Before he knew it she had moved to the front seat and has been by his side ever since.
After about 15 years in the insurance business, he began working with his cousin at Sims Grocery, then located on Highway 67 when it was only two lanes. In 1968 due to the widening of the highway, the Sim’s Drive In moved to its current location in the historic town square and Charles Ray and Verna Jean bought the business and operated it until 1984 when Charles Ray became Cedar Hill’s first paid Fire Chief.
He had served as a volunteer fireman (and firechief periodically) for almost 35 years prior to becoming employed as Cedar Hill’s Firechief and the Citizens of Cedar Hill sincerely thank him for all his outstanding service.
Lois Duvall Cannady was raised in Midlothian and in 1946 married Joe Cannady, a native of Cedar Hill. At that time Cedar Hill had 750 residents, two grocery stores, one barber shop, one cleaner, a post office and a drug store in the downtown area with a few scattered service stations.
From 1953 until retirement in 1994 Lois was employed as a land supervisor for an independent oil operator and usually carpooled to Dallas. In 1982 she and Joe purchased and restored the 1908 “Cannady House” and enjoyed gardening, antiquing and traveling.
In the early 1980’s she and five others organized the Cedar Hill Historical Society and she served as president for four years and continues to be an active board member. In 1984 she was honored as Chamber “Woman of theYear” and in 2002 she was Country Day “Queen of the Hill”. The Cedar Hill Masonic Lodge honored her as “2004 Community Builder” and in 2009 she was given the “Golden Cedar” award by the Chamber. She served as first president of Bridges Safe House and continues to be an active board member.
The community of Cedar Hill is blessed and privileged that Lois continues to call Cedar Hill home.
Greg Patton is from Terrell, Texas and met his wife, Linda Clark who is from Cedar Hill, while in college at Texas A & M at Commerce which was then East Texas State University. He received a B.B.A. degree in Economics and Finance. After working a short time at Ling Temco Vought in Grand Prairie he joined his father-in-law’s insurance business in Cedar Hill. He was a volunteer fireman for twenty years and retired in May of this year as City Councilman after serving for nine years.
Greg and Linda have a daughter, Jenny, and a son, Jay who runs the family business. The family has been involved with the Cedar Hill Church of Christ since the early 1950’s. Greg served as chairman of the Home Rule Charter Commission in 1975, past President of the Chamber of Commerce and Lion’s Club. They have four grandchildren with one, Audrey, being a fourth generation student of the Cedar Hill ISD.
Peggy Mayfield Wilson was born in Austin, Texas, on March 24, 1927. Peggy’s parents did without many things in order for her to attend the University of Texas where she received degrees in chemistry. She has a proud heritage with her great great grandfather sacrificing his life in the Battle of the Alamo and his brother in the Battle of Goliad.
In 1953 she moved to Dallas when hired by Magnolia Petroleum company (Mobil Oil Corp.). She was Mobil’s first female Ph.D. and became their first woman manager of a research group where she traveled to Europe for duties on drilling rigs 100 miles offshore Norway in the North Sea. In Mobil’s behalf, she authored about 15 U.S. patents and about 30 in Canada and Europe. In 1989, she and her husband, W.W. Wilson, III, Lt. Col., USAF retired in Cedar Hill.
From lengthy volunteer service in the Dallas city plan department, she realized that Cedar Hill was about to grow rapidly and would need more money for infrastructure. The city council agreed and assigned her the task of establishing an economic development program, which citizens soon supported in a sales tax election. She chaired the comprehensive plan committee in the 1990’s and was Cedar Hill’s first woman city council member. She continues civic and school volunteer activities.
In 1976 she and her husband, Jim, opened Spotlight Dance Studio on Hickerson Street in Cedar Hill, bringing the best in dance education to our community as well as a ray of sunshine to all. Summers from 1980 through 2001 she traveled with the Hoctor Dance Caravan training dance instructors and dancers all over the United States. In 1980 she and Jim moved their Dance Studio to the historic downtown area purchasing the T.A. Bray building on Houston. She has been the driving force behind the quality growth of Country Day on the Hill. Her son, Paul Allen, resides in Southlake and daughter, Ellen, in Maypearl.
Photograph taken October, 2007 – Jim and Jimmie Ruth White honored as King and Queen of the Hill.
Rosa Belle Bordner Plummer was born October 15, 1914 in Desoto and received a Bachelor of Arts from Trinity University. She taught 2nd grade from 1935 until 1980 for the Cedar Hill School. For many years she also taught high school typing and shorthand and coached girl’s basketball. She married Jess Plummer in 1936 and was a member of the Church of Christ. She was awarded as an Honorary Lifetime Member of the PTA, crowned Queen of the Hill in the late 1980’s and Plummer Elementary was named after her. She was loved by all and on June 2, 1980 the City honored her with Rose Belle Plummer Day. When she received this news she responded, “You have helped fill my life with beauty, joy and grace. You helped make the world we live in a better and happier place.”
She passed away November 25, 2005 at age 91 and is survived by her daughter, Jadene Plummer Brown.
Photograph of Rose Plummer taken in 1962. There is a display at the Government Center on Uptown Blvd. which acknowledges this as Rose Plummer month, along with Cedar Hill’s old school photographs and information.
Amanda McFarland Hall was born in Van Nuys, California 0ctober 20, 1940, the younger sister of Spanky McFarland of the “Little Rascals”. Her family moved to the Dallas area when she was a small child and she graduated from Adamson High School in Oak Cliff.
After moving to Cedar Hill, Texas she and her husband, Archie Hall, had one son Keith Hall. Amanda and Archie had a successful real estate business in Cedar Hill for many years.
In the 1980’s she was a delegate to the National Republican Party Convention and in 1998 she was the second woman elected to serve on the Cedar Hill City Council.
Amanda loved Cedar Hill and gladly served her community. She held various board positions and memberships to Country Day on the Hill, Chamber of Commerce, City of Cedar Hill 2008 Comprehensive Plan, Cedar Hill Main Street Program, Cedar Hill Historical Society, Cedar Hill Museum of History, Cedar Hill Citizen’s Police and Fire Academy and was a founding member of the Cedar Hill Independent School District Education Foundation. Amanda was a member of the First United Methodist Church.
She passed away in Cedar Hill, Texas June 23, 2009.