Ann Permenter grew up on a farm in Shelby County, Texas and finished high school at Shelbyville High School in 1946. She graduated from Meadows-Draughan Business College in Shreveport, La, and worked in Shreveport until W.S. completed his military assignment. They were married soon after his return.
In 1948 they moved to Huntsville, Texas where W.S. finished college and Ann worked at Texas Prison System in the records department. She was a “stay at home mom” for a few years before the family moved to Cedar Hill where they daughter, Nancy, attended school. Ann worked for the Cedar Hill school system for about four years, then for E & E Manufacturing almost 10 years. She then worked for several accounting firms in Dallas, and with Henry S. Miller Real Estate. After Nancy left for college, Ann attended Northlake College and received an Associate Degree in Real Estate. She worked for several realtors before she and W.S. opened Permenter Real Estate.
It was during her studies in real estate that she became ambitious about the restoration of downtown Cedar Hill. She says this was the most exciting work she was ever associated with. So many dear friends were as enthusiastic and cooperative in the projects as she and W.S. were, and they were the encouragement needed to get the jobs done. Ann says after their “next retirement” they traveled by RV throughout America.
Ann’s most appreciated claim to fame (aside from being married to W.S.) is the “Certificate of Commendation for Distinguished Service in the Field of Historic Preservation” awarded to her by the Texas Historical Commission in November 1980. Ann says this certificate could not have been achieved without the wonderful Cedar Hill citizens. Though Ann now resides with her daughter in Forest, Virginia she is still considered a most beloved citizen of Cedar Hill whom we we have been dearly blessed to have a part of our community.
Frankie Lee served as Cedar Hill City Secretary for 24 years with more than 30 years of employment with the City, the longest serving employee at the time of her retirement in 2008. She is a first-hand witness to the growth of Cedar Hill which grew from a population of 6,849 in 1980 to about 46,000 in 2008.
Frankie’s great-grandfather, Newton A. Carrell, and grandfather, John S.A. Carrell settled their families in the Cedar Hill area around 1871. Newton A. Carrell served as Dallas County Justice of the Peace for several years in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Her parents, James and Faye Carrell, owned and operated a wholesale dairy on 77-acre farm south of town for 24 years, then raised cattle after closing the dairy. James delivered mail for the Cedar Hill Post Office for 22 years.
Frankie is a member of First United Methodist Church of Cedar Hill, where the Carrell family has a long history of service dating back to the Charter Membership of her grandfathers. Frankie is a member of the Cedar Hill Lions Club, serving on the Board of Directors, former Lion Tamer and long-time Chair of the Annual Pancake Breakfast. She was the Cedar Hill Lions Club “Grass Roots Lion” for 2007-08 and “Lion of the Year” for 2009-10. She serves as a Trustee and volunteer for the Cedar Hill Museum of History and is a member of the Texas Track and Field Officials Assoc., helping officiate track and field meets in Texas each year, including the annual Texas Relays at UT.
A 1966 graduate of Cedar Hill High School, Frankie attended UTA and is a graduate of the “Leadership Southwest” class of 1996-97. She has two daughters, Leslie Lee and Melissa Jett, and three grandsons, Jerod Godwin, James Jett and Grayson Jett. Frankie’s late husband, Charles Lee, was a building inspector for Cedar Hill many years.
Frankie was an active Member of the Texas Municipal Clerks Assoc., N TX Municipal Clerks Assoc.,and International Institute of Municipal Clerks. In 2005, she was a Municipal Clerks’ Honor Roll “Honoree.” She received continuing education in municipal government through these organizations and the Office of Secretary of State as well as the Office of Texas Attorney General.
At her retirement reception, Frankie was presented the City of Cedar Hill Official Seal that hung behind the dais in the old city hall, which she promptly donated to the Cedar Hill Historical Society. She expressed great pleasure in having an opportunity to serve the citizens of Cedar Hill. Cedar Hill citizens have been blessed to have Frankie Lee as a part of the community.
Chris Rose, D.V.M., a graduate of Texas A & M University, has served pets and owners in Cedar Hill for 28 years. Many remember the small house on Texas Street where he opened his veterinary practice, Central Animal Clinic. In 2004 the practice was moved to its current location at Highway 67 and Beltline Road.
Dr. Rose was Mayor (1991-96) and Councilman to Cedar Hill and has served on numerous city, school and civic committees. He and the clinic have been involved as sponsors of the Pet Show at Country Day on the Hill which is always well attended and enjoyed. He serves on the board of the Tri-City Animal Shelter and works closely with them in meeting the needs of many pets.
Dr. Rose has seen this small community grow into a thriving city in which he’s proud to have been a part. His wife, Diane, is an elementary teacher and has been with the Cedar Hill ISD for 19 years.
Our community is blessed Chris and family call Cedar Hill home.