Archie Hall was born and raised in Dallas. During the 1930’s when he was young he came to Cedar Hill with his parents to visit a friend. He always remembered how beautiful it was and in 1947 he bought some property on the west side on the edge of the escarpment. He loves Cedar Hill’s beauty and small town closeness.
In 1950, while he was an engineer with Vought Aircraft in Grand Prairie, he designed and built his first home in Cedar Hill (population 1250 at the time). One entire wall was glass panels overlooking the valley. Word got around that a night club was being built and there was grave concern of dancing and gambling.
Arch is a member of the Cedar Hill First United Methodist Church and has two daughters, one son and several grand and great grand children. Arch and his wife, Amanda, opened A & A Real Estate in 1972. He promoted Cedar Hill at the National Association of Builders where all were amazed the beautiful Valley was here in the Dallas area. In 1984 they bought the building at the southwest corner of Cedar & Broad in the old town square to operate the realty business. This had been the home of Shorty Hood’s BBQ for many years.
Arch was instrumental in halting the effort to turn 1200 acres on the west side of Cedar Hill into a seven city landfill. It is now Lake Ridge Estates. He went on to become President of the Chamber of Commerce, Mayor of Cedar Hill, chairman of Planning and Zoning, Highway 67 Transportation Committee rep and Chairman of the 1984 Comprehensive Plan.
Arch enjoys life in Cedar Hill and the many friendships he has developed. There is not much about Cedar Hill he can’t tell you….from the escarpment, towers, lake, growth, preservation to Country Day. Shortly after Amanda passed away, Arch semi-retired and sold the business to Clark Stephenson. Celebrating its 30th year in operation in 2011 the business was moved to 909 W. Belt Line. Thank you to Arch Hall for being such a great citizen and community activist in Cedar Hill.
Dr. Frank Crawford was Cedar Hill’s town doctor from 1952 through 1975. He made house calls in the middle of the night and gave student athletes free physicals. He was the first President of the Chamber of Commerce in 1965 after having been City Councilman in 1960-62.
Among other civic activities he was City Health Official for Cedar Hill throughout his career. Crawford Park just off Straus road was named in his honor and he was honored by the City of Cedar Hill with the Distinctive Character Lifetime Achievement Award in January, 2011.
Dr. Crawford was a Staff Physician at the SMU Health Center from 1975 through 1979. He originated the Family Practice Residency Program for Methodist Hospital and Southwestern Medical School of Dallas in 1979-81. He resumed his practice in Cedar Hill in the 1980’s.
He and his wife, Elizabeth, who was raised in Duncanville, have been active in the First United Methodist Church for many years. His daughter and family reside in Midlothian and son and family in Dallas. Shortly after the much loved Elizabeth moved to a retirement home with alzheimers, Frank’s brother from Houston moved to Cedar Hill.
Our community is priviliged to have the Frank Crawford family call Cedar Hill home.
Joe and Wanda Pitt have been a great asset to the community for years and have worked diligently with the School, City and Historical Society to help Cedar Hill maintain it high quality of life. Cedar Hill is blessed they continue to make Cedar Hill home.
JOE PITT was born in 1942 and has spent his lifetime in Cedar Hill except while obtaining his Architectural Engineering degree at UT Austin shortly after having graduated third in his high school class. He joined the firm of Nagler Engineers in 1967 which later became TMBP Consulting Engineers where he is a partner. Joe specializes in structural and civil engineering and provided structural design for many schools in Cedar Hill, as well as many major structures in Dallas. He also designed the connector bridges at the Reunion parking between the Jefferson St. and Houston St. viaducts.
Joe has been active in civic affairs many years having served on the Cedar Hill School Board 1974 to 1989 and he continues to serve on the Building Code Appeals and Advisory Board since 1989. His evaluation report of the escarpment area of Cedar Hill resulted in escarpment preservation legislated by the Cedar Hill City Council. He is a lifetime member of the Cedar Hill Historical Society and is active in the Rotary Club. His hobbies are antiques, photography and computers.
Joe’s stepchildren, Elaine Gage Gatlin, John Gage, Carolyn Gage Chaffin and Linda Gage, all graduated from Cedar Hill High School as did his daughter, Alison Pitt Karnes. Joe married Wanda in 1988 and they reside in the old barn his parents converted to a home in 1945.
WANDA PITT was born in 1943 and raised in Duncanville, Texas, the daughter of Jack Stanton and Carol Phillips. She first met Joe Pitt at church in 1954. At the age of 14 her family moved to San Jose, California. Wanda attended colleges in San Jose, Pensacola, FL, Meridian, MS, Sandiego, CA and Seattle, WA. She raised her children, Roger, Leigh and Elaine Harrison, in Seattle, WA where she was a teacher at Highline Community College. Upon returning to Texas in 1984, Wanda obtained a degree in Psychology at UT-Dallas and was employed by the Texas Rehabilitation Commission.
Wanda has been active in civic work throughout her life in California,Colorado,Washington and Texas, and was one of the first volunteers to Sesame Street in San Francisco in the 1960’s. She served as President of the Des Moines, Washington Chamber of Commerce in 1982. Wanda, a lifetime member of the Cedar Hill Historical Society, held active board positions from 1986 through 1996. She served on the Cedar Hill Comprehensive Planning Committee and helped write the History of Cedar Hill Book, published in 2002. She researched and documented the history of the First Methodist Church of Cedar Hill and obtained Texas Historical Certification of its first cemetery now named Crawford’s Tornado (1856) Graveyard.
In addition to gardening, cooking and restoring antiques, Wanda is an avid genealogist and traced her Phillips/Stallings family to th Revoluntionary War in North Carolina, descendants of Nicholas Stallings of Jamestown, Virginia 1635. She is also a 6th great grand niece of President Zachary Taylor and a cousin to President James Madison.
Shirley Switzer Hendricks was born in Dallas in 1946, and grew up in Oak Cliff graduating in 1964. She attended cosmetology school during high school, received a hair dresser license in 1969 and worked in that capacity for a few years. She married, had two children and worked several jobs in the Dallas area.
In 1979 she re-married a “Cedar Hill Boy”, Jerry Hendricks. In 1983 they built a home on the homestead of her paternal grandparents on Houston St. (legally called “Original Town”). In the 1940’s her grandfather, “Cat” Switzer, was the first volunteer fire chief in Cedar Hill. Shirley’s grandmother, Vester, helped organize the “Women’s Firefighters Auxiliary” group that assisted the firemen by bringing food and drinks to the men as they fought fires. They also helped homeless families with clothing, food and temporary housing.
Shirley’s paternal family continues back to the 1860’s, with some of the early settlers living in a cave on the west side of the escarpment when they first arrived in the area. Jerry is a member of the A. A. Hendricks family that settled in Cedar Hill in the 1840’s. A. A. Hendricks had a business in Old Town making farm equipment. This town is definitely in both of their heritages making Cedar Hill feel just like home.
Shirley worked for the Cedar Hill Schools for eight years as manager in the Food Service Dept. In 1996 she purchased “The Gingerbread House” restaurant and developed the “Bed & Breakfast” upstairs in the 1884 R. A. Roberts home on Broad Street. The Roberts home has two historical markers, one for the house and one for the community development of the railroad by Dr. R. A. Roberts.
Shirley worked as a labor of love for two and one-half years compiling, editing and helping write the Cedar Hill History Book which was published in 2001. The book is over 400 pages with more than 650 photos. The book was written and published for the historic education of the citizens of Cedar Hill and as a fund raising project for the Cedar Hill Historical Society which evolved into the Cedar Hill Museum of History. Copies of the history book are still available through the Museum or the Library. She worked on several boards for the city and serves as a historian for Cedar Hill.
We are especially proud Shirley and her family continue to make Cedar Hill home.
Linda married Greg Patton in 1966 and they have two wonderful children, and four grandchildren which she considers her favorite hobby along with gardening. Linda has been active in the community all her life and has served in the PTA holding a National Life Membership, director of the Cedar Hill Chamber of Commerce, member of the Cedar Hill ISD Board of Trustees, a founding member of the Cedar Hill ISD Education Foundation where she is still an active director.
She is a member of the Keep Cedar Hill Beautiful committee and the Superseeders Garden Club. She and Greg were honored this year as Country Day on the Hill King and Queen. Greg was honored as our Citizen of the Month for December, 2009 (see below).
Cedar Hill is blessed to have Linda and her family continue to call Cedar Hill home.
James Franklin “Jimmy” Mobley was born in Cedar Hill in 1945. He graduated from Cedar Hill High School in 1963 and received a Bachelor of Arts Degree from UTA in 1969. He married Patricia Duane in 1974. He received his Juris Doctorate from Texas Tech School of Law in 1984.
He and Pat were King and Queen of the Hill in 2009 and both continue to be extremely active in the community while Jimmy runs a legal practice and Pat operates Reunion Title at 701 W. Belt Line. Jimmy and Pat raised four children, Ricky Purifoy, Susan Purifoy, Sherri Purifoy-Frie and Melissa Mobley Schuelke, all graduates of Cedar Hill Independent School District. They have seven grandchildren, Shandi, Brandon, Madisen, Tristan, Caleb, Colby and Luke.
Jimmy has held the following positions:
The community of Cedar Hill is very blessed that the Mobley family continues to make Cedar Hill their home.
L. Kim Lewis was born at Dallas Methodist Hospital in 1953. He grew up in Midlothian where he graduated High School in 1971. Little did he know at the time that his career in education had been launched in 1970 when he became a bus driver for Midlothian ISD as a seventeen year old.
Shortly after graduation from UTA, Kim was hired as the Assistant Bookkeeper for Cedar Hill ISD in 1976 under Supt. Bill Kennedy. CHISD had only 900 students and 100 employees at the time. Thirty one years and six Superintendents later, Kim was appointed Chief Operating Officer by Superintendent Horace Williams. By contrast, CHISD now has over 8,100 students and 1,000 employees.
Kim lives southeast of Midlothian on the farm that his great grandfather purchased in 1892. Outside of the two jobs he loves the most (CHISD and Midlothian Bible Church treasurer), his favorite pastimes include hunting, fishing and hiking “fourteeners” in Colorado.
Carolyn Newport McKee was born into the Hall family and lived most of her life in Dallas. She started doing business in Cedar Hill in 1983 when she and her husband, Bill, operated Cedar Hill Engraving and Awards and the Cedar Hill Jewelry and Loan which was first on Texas Street in the Historic District of Cedar Hill, then moving to the southwest corner of Belt Line and Clark Road. She also worked for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company for 30 years.
She and her husband, Jim, love volunteering in the community and opening their beautiful home to groups for parties and meetings. They routinely hold dinners various community churches.
Carolyn’s involvement with the food concessions of the State Fair of Texas began 60 years ago as a small child helping her mother. She has many titles having operated Newport Concessions at the State Fair for years, and being past chair of the following: Country Day on the Hill, Cedar Hill Chamber of Commerce 1995, Lone Star Showman’s Club 1986, Metropolitan Veteran’s Assoc. 1980, and the State Fair Livestock Auction for 10 years. She is an active board member of the Cedar Hill Education Foundation since 2008 and has been on the Texas Association of Fairs and Events for 25 years.
Carolyn was recipient of Cedar Hill’s “Golden Cedar Lifetime Achievement Award 2007” and the Texas Association of Fairs & Events “Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award 2010”. She is a graduate of Leadership Southwest 1994, member of the Cedar Summit Book Club and member and vestry of Good Shepherd Church in Cedar Hill.
Cedar Hill is blessed to have such a wonderful person as Carolyn call Cedar Hill home.
Glenn E. Glenn Clark, a dentist who has been practicing in Cedar Hill since 1970, was born in Laramie, Wyoming and came to Texas via his college years at T.C.U. After graduation he attended Baylor College of Dentistry. His first office was in the old bank building on the square where he practiced from 1970-1976.
In 1976, he and Dr. Joe Potter built offices at 211 W. Beltline. In 1998, Glenn and Alicia’s son, Dr. Brian Clark joined the practice. Brian’s wife, Dr. Shelly Clark, has a pediatric dental practice next door. Glenn’s daughter, Stephanie Maglisceau, is a special education counselor and her husband, Tom is a local high school principal. Glenn and Alicia have five wonderful grandchildren of whom they are very proud. Cedar Hill thanks the Clark Family for all they have done and continue to do for our community.
J.R. and Traphene Hickman are honored this May and June as Cedar Hill’s Outstanding Citizens. Their 60th wedding anniversary is June 9th. We wish this stellar couple our best and thank them for all their years of community service.
J.R.(John Robert) was born southwest of town in what was known as Pleasant Valley 82 years ago. He is the great-grandson of Jean Baptists Holveck who moved to Cedar Hill from LaBrouge, France in 1877. J.R. attended Pleasant Valley School in his early youth which was during the Depression Era. His homeplace is now under the waters of Joe Pool Lake. He was employed by Southwestern Bell, climbing poles in the early years and later holding various management positions. He served our country in the marines during the Korean War.
Traphene Parramore came to Cedar Hill from Oakcliff when she was in the ninth grade. She became director of the Cedar Hill Public Library from 1959-1977 and was promoted to Director of Dallas County Library System from 1977-1993. In 1976 she compiled the “History and Pictorial Directory of Cedar Hill.”
They have both been extremely active in the First Methodist Church, as well as the Chamber of Commerce, the Democratic Party and many community groups including CHISD programs. They share a love of storytelling and are active members of the Tejas Storytelling Association and the Dallas Storytelling Guild having held offices in both. They have two daughters, Rebecca Lynn and Laurie Sue, three grandsons and two great granddaughters. We are blessed that this loving family calls Cedar Hill home.
He was born in Oak Cliff and graduated from Kimball High School. He received a BS in Business from Harding University in Arkansas and served in the Air National Guard. He began his lifelong career in the lumber business with his father and became owner and President of Phillips Lumber Company. He mentored Boy Scouts in Troop 520 for 18 years, helping countless young men become Eagle Scouts instilling respect for his high expectations and logical, disciplined focus toward all goals.
Active in the development of Cedar Hill, he served as City Councilman, Mayor pro tem, President of the Main Street Development/Preservation Board and was instrumental in the revitalization of the Downtown Historic District.
He enjoyed traveling to Colorado with his family- wife Robin, and children Jason, Cheryl and Christopher as well as cooking out with his family and friends. He was deacon of the Church of Christ and a generous, kind, caring person with great love and service for his community, church and fellowman. He will indeed be missed by the entire Cedar Hill community.
Elizabeth Gay Hunt was reared in Cedar Hill and graduated from Cedar Hill High School in 1997. She spent part of her junior and senior years in Argentina as a student in a foreign exchange program. After her high school graduation, she ventured off to Aggieland and completed a BS in Industrial Distribution and a BA in International Studies with an emphasis in Latin America. She also lived in Italy and Costa Rica while studying at Texas A&M; University.
In 2006, Elizabeth enrolled at Texas State University to pursue a BS in Interior Design. Because the Cedar Hill community continues to be important to her, Elizabeth presented an interior and lighting design for the Cedar Hill Museum of History as part of her Senior Honor and Design Thesis. Inspired by the natural landscape, beauty, sense of community and Cedar Hill history, her design concept focused on the museum’s interior and told the story of the Cedar Hill Community embracing history and nature.
Elizabeth lives in Austin, Texas with her three dogs. Currently she works for Rockford Business Interiors as an Account Manager creating more effective and ergonomic enviornments for the workplace. As the owner of eHunt Design she continues to practice lighting design and creates unique sterling silver jewelry.